Job Title: Minor League Performance Nutrition Coordinator
Location: Flexible location between either Round Rock, TX, Frisco, TX or Surprise, AZ
How to Apply: Please send you cover letter, resume and references to Katie McInnis, the Major League Performance Dietitian, at email@example.com. If you have questions prior to application, contact Katie McInnis at the same email address.
Job Summary: The Texas Rangers Baseball Club is looking for an experienced registered dietitian to oversee the sports nutrition program for minor league affiliates and minor league player development. This individual will serve as the point of contact to execute the day-to-day nutrition needs for player health and performance. Reporting to the Major League Performance Dietitian, this team member will be responsible for coordinating care, measuring success and communicating results and relevant information to establish continuity of care throughout the organization. They will serve as the supervisor for additional performance nutrition staff as the program expands. This is a high-performance job focused on athlete care and building a comprehensive program with minimal foodservice involvement.
Main Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and implement the Texas Rangers minor league nutrition program in player development.
- Build and maintain successful relationships with athletes, coaches and support staff.
- Conduct dietary and body composition assessments, maintain nutrition care plans, develop educational materials and meal planning as well as oversee menu development.
- Create Player Nutrition Profiles and educate athletes regarding their requirements throughout the season using evidence-based recommendations to determine requirement for players.
- Implement performance nutrition interventions and counsel athletes on daily nutrition for health and performance and during recovery from illness or injury.
- Investigate potential supplements and ensure nutrition supplement use falls within the guidelines of the CBA and have timely documentation.
- Utilize Smartabase to document athlete notes and progress to ensure all staff has access to relevant and up to date information.
- Develop education materials, deliver nutrition-specific presentations/activities, and provide grocery store tours and cooking classes.
- Manage minor league supplement budget and ordering. Utilize strength and conditioning coaches to assist with the distribution and documentation of daily supplements.
- Act as a reliable nutrition resource for the players, coaches, athletic trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, and front office staff.
- Develop a needs assessment at each affiliate with an action plan to complete those tasks in a timely fashion as agreed upon with the Major League Performance Dietitian
- Provide education to ensure proper food safety and sanitation procedures are met at home and away games.
- Regular communication and reporting to the Major League Performance Dietitian.
- Create, update, and implement nutrition protocols for injury, supplements, hydration and any others as necessary.
- Collaborate with other performance staff on player health and wellness, including individual player plans.
- Provide oversight on menu choice/development to clubhouse managers
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Performance or the Major League Performance Dietitian.
- Travel to assigned affiliates frequently and other affiliates occasionally to manage performance nutrition staff at their assigned affiliates.
- Create visit summaries following time at each affiliate and distribute within 72 hours of a visit to relevant parties.
- Cover minor league camp during spring training in Surprise, AZ
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in nutrition and 5 years experience as a sports RD (registered dietitian). Masters degree preferred but not required. Must be willing to travel and work a non-standard workweek. Must be able to lift 50 pounds or greater and must be ServSafe Certified.
- Registered Dietitian through the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working within sports dietetics.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated experience working within baseball preferred, but not required
- Ability to communicate in Spanish preferred, but not required
- Experience in conducting research preferred, but not required
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) preferred, but not required.
- One or more years of supervisory experience